Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Lots of Rain

The difference between where the garden is today and where it was last time this year is amazing. You can see last years post here. This is a general update of what has happened in the last month.

A slow start to planting seeds for lettuce has yielded practically no lettuce at all. Every time I plant, they seem to get washed away by the next torrential down pour. I am considering creating a cover for the lettuce bed to protect it from the pelting rain. Very scrawny looking.

 

Greens were planted in a slightly shady area and without the sun for the last week, they have not been producing. I will try in a slightly different area this week.

Peas are beginning to gain some height. I planted sweet peas a good two weeks before I planted the sugar snap peas which are just beginning to surface. Okra, planted very close to the peas, have germinated. They will have more room after the peas are removed but will act as a nice structure for the peas to keep them up against the fence. You can see the cat behind the fence, yearning to get into the garden.

 


The row of beans that I mulched with grass clippings managed to survive. The other row is having major difficulty. The pole beans are not surfacing at all and I am not sure what to do about it right now. Carrots and radishes are doing OK. I do not think that the radishes will get much bigger than a big blueberry. One set of carrots had a 205 germination rate while the other set is almost 100%.

 


Tomatoes are having a hard time. The slugs and pill bugs are doing a good job eating the green leaves on everything from turnips to tomatoes.

Cucumbers are looking good. I am glad that they did not sustain any damage.

 

2 comments:

  1. It's been miserable for the garden this year. Between rott and bugs it's been a real challenge. The sun is shining today though :)

    Your cat looks exactly like my one cat Miss Banana!

    Hopefully we will have many more days of sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I've got a cat constantly in that "yearning to get it" mode as well!

    ReplyDelete