Monday, August 23, 2010

Harvest Monday

RAIN Today! I can still count the number of days of rain this summer on one hand.
Last weeks post was late so there is some overlap and I am still lazy about taking pictures. Take a look at Dahne's Harvest Monday for other great harvests.

Tomatoes are slowing down but there are a few new shoots and fruit sets on the very yellow and scraggly plants. I am not sure what is happening to them but I do not think I will have tomatoes for much longer. Also see the previous post if you have any clue what might be the issue with some of my tomatoes.


The new carrots beets and radishes are doing well. I hope they get enough sun with the new growth of the maple tree this summer. it blocks some of the late summer sun.

I continue to pick kale. Froze some and tried a new recipe of raw kale, tomato and cucumber, marinated in soy sauce and  lemon, sprinkled with toasted sunflower seeds. You can see other great recipes at Greenish Thumb Garden to Table challenge.




Okra has not been coming in in the amounts I thought they would. two rows of okra are not producing at all so I am left with one row of about 8 plants.





Eggplants are starting to produce in quantity but I only have 3 plants. Pole beans are also beginning to kick in. I froze a pound of them this week. Peppers are still having a little difficulty.




All of a sudden the cucumbers are starting to produce. I think the hot weather stalled them. This is a persian variety. Small, smooth, crunchy. Never tried pickling these but I might have to since I am picking 4 a day.

5 comments:

  1. It looks like your garden is still producing well. I have no idea what is going on with your tomato plants. Maybe you should post a picture of the plants. There are a lot of smart gardeners out there that will probably have the answer.

    We have been getting some nice weather and rain on a regular basis the past couple of weeks. I guess that most of the rain is missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice tomato harvest, the eggplant in the purple bowl is so pretty.

    I don't know anything about plant diseases, can't help you there, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tomatoes! Even thought the plants are not completely healthy, they are producing a lot for you.
    That picture with kale/tomato salad is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't the rain wonderful. This summer has been so dry. I've never had to water this much before. Love the kale salad. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that eggplant looks gorgeous on that plate! I'm glad you were able to join my little party. your dish looks wonderful and hearty. I love anything with toasted sunflower seeds and lemon. Hope you'll be back this Saturday!

    ReplyDelete