Sunday, June 20, 2010

Harvest Monday

This week the plants just keep getting bigger and bigger. I do this every year and plant things too close. I somehow do not believe that they will occupy the space when I first put them in. But alas, they do and I spend my time getting scratched by the squash plants.
Swiss Chard continues to come in on a regular basis along with the mustard and lettuce.
On this particular day it was along with the zucchini and crook neck squash.

It is always special to pick the "first" whatever it is. But often I say, "what am I going to do with one xxx."  Wasn't I lucky this time.

The makings of a ratatouille!

The beans are a nice surprise and I have no clue what variety they are and I am not a very organized gardener in terms of varieties and seed selection. Many of my seeds are 2 years old but seem to produce just fine. Since this is the first time I am growing onions, I was not sure when to harvest them. I did a little research and now realize that they take a little more work than yanking out of the ground and putting in the cold cellar. You learn something new every day. Check out some other harvests at Harvest Monday.

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely harvest! I sure hope my volunteer squash is the yellow crookneck that I think it is. I just love them cooked with fresh corn or green beans. I add them, sliced or diced, near the end of the cooking time for the other veggies, and serve them tender-crisp. When diced into fresh whole kernel corn, they take on the flavor of the corn and make it serve more people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Harvest; look at that eggplant!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really nice variety of veggies for this time of year! My eggplant don't even have any blooms yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty begins of a great dish. Many of my seeds last quite some time depending on the variety. I try hard to store them well. Like you, not al of them are well labelled... It is funny how we just can't believe that, like last year, the garden will become a jungle of squash and other vines this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the FIRST of whatever that I get to harvest!! The anticipation of waiting and then knowing the pace will pick up quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely harvest! How nice to have all the makings of your first ratatouille of the season ready!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I certainly love firsts. Some are easy. The first raspberry or tomato just go right in my mouth. Of course that wouldn't quite work with your firsts this week. Though my daughter when she was young would eat onions right from the garden. I cringed when I saw it but of course never said anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a nice variety of vegetables! Your eggplant are way ahead of ours, and that one looks lovely.

    Onions do take a bit of curing to get them to keep, but nothing wrong about yanking an onion out and using it right away. I do that and they keep for a week or two in the frig.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Granny, Thanks for the recipe. My daughter prefers green zucchini to the yellow so this might disguise it a little.

    Alison and Robin and Villager, the eggplant was a surprise and it grew in 8 days. I might have to wait for the next couple.

    Ottawa - maybe next year I'll remember.

    Deb, Angela and Daphne, Firsts are great but now it's on to seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice harvest, the eggplant is a beauty, I wish I have some lettuce and beans now.

    ReplyDelete